Tuesday, May 3, 2011

37 Weeks = FULL TERM!!!

Holy moly, how did we get to this point?  FULL TERM, it's insane!  I'm so happy, yet terrified to be at this stage.  Little Grady will be here before we know it.  It's crunch time around here.  Adam and I have a list of "to dos" before he arrives.  Guess we really need to get going on that, huh?  

I had my weekly appointment today and things are going great.  FINALLY there was some progress --- 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Now, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it makes me feel like we're on the right track.  Since I'm technically full term now, he's welcome to make an appearance at any point, but I would still like to hit that 38 week mark.  I guess little boys are especially susceptible to breathing problems when born premature, so to guarantee that doesn't become an issue I'll be happy to keep him cooking for another week.  After that, we are comfortable with him arriving when he's ready.  Another good thing was that my belly was measuring right on track this week, even though it was two weeks ahead last week.  Strange!  My OB said it's probably because he's "dropped" thus changing the shape of my bump.  Either way, I'll take it!  Measuring large scared me a bit.  

We are still scheduled for another growth ultrasound next Tuesday to determine his size and at that point we could schedule an indication for May 17th.  We'll see... 
 
Picture: 
What's going on: 

How your baby's growing:

"Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)  Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz."

How I'm feeling:  Pretty good.  I actually feel better this week than I did last week.  It's bizarre, but I'm okay with it.  

Cravings/Aversions:  I'm back on this chocolate kick.  I can't get enough chocolate.  Ugh, that's not good for the ol' scale.  Grrrr...

Weight gain:  +31.  I want to throw up.  

Next appointment:  Ultrasound and regular appointment next Tuesday, May 10th.

1 comment:

  1. You still look as cute as ever. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy yourself before Grady gets here!

    ReplyDelete