Well, well, well, I'm not sure where to begin. We had another ultrasound and doctor's appointment this morning and it did not go as well as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, Grady is doing great and is healthy, so I really shouldn't complain. However, here's where things went downhill...
The ultrasound estimated he is now approximately 8 pounds 3 ounces. OH MY GOSH!!!! Now, those can be wildly inaccurate (up to +/- one pound) but I'm not banking on that. Let's get real people, this is one big boy. It's throwing us for a loop because neither Adam nor I were big babies. Where did this come from? Ugh! Also, the ultrasound technichian discovered that although he is still head-down, he is sunny-side-up, meaning he is facing my belly button which is not the way he should be. If he does not turn during labor it will create a more difficult labor and may result in a c-section. That in addition to his size are not adding up well.
Now, for the real kicker -- during my regular appointment, my OB measured my stomach and it is now at 40 cm or 2 weeks ahead. Ugh, why is everything HUGE?!? Also, I'm only dilated 1 centimeter and in order to be induced I have to be at a 2. I was not expecting this news at all. If I don't get to a 2 by our next appointment on Monday, there will be no induction on Tuesday. =( The doctor pretty much said that if they try to induce when the cervix is not ready it increases the risk of a c-section, but if they let me continue past 39 weeks with his size that will also increase the chance of a c-section. I'm trying not to freak out, but at the point I need to prepare myself for surgery. My only saving grace at this point is to have my water break or to dilate to a 2 or more by Monday. Please Lord, let one of those two things happen in the next six days! Let's hope my next post is because I have a baby in my arms.
On a much more positive note, Grady's future BFF was born on Friday 5/6/11. His name is Hudson James Crisp and he is a-freaking-dorable!! Adam and I went to see him Saturday morning and if I wasn't antsy enough to have Grady here, that just about sent me over the edge. His mommy, Kristen, had to have an emergency c-section due to some stress on the baby, but both are doing wonderful (she was the one due four days before me). Congrats to Brian and Kristen on their little man! I can't wait to see our boys grow up together. Check out his adorableness!
Adam holding Hudson --- he's going to be a great daddy.
Picture:
Can you tell I had a stressful day?
What's going on:
How your baby's growing:
"Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)"
How I'm feeling: Pretty miserable. I'm enormous, can barely move and to add insult to injury, Grady is punching my cervix which feels like I'm being stabbed with a machete. Yeah, that pregnancy bliss is officially gone.
Cravings/Aversions: Chocolate shakes. That's a new one. I mean, I've been craving chocolate and ice cream, but I haven't had a shake in years. How could I have forgotten how delicious those little things are? Since I'm still pregnant I figured I might as well give in and treat myself because in a few weeks I'll be living on celery sticks and water (oh and maybe a glass of wine!).
Weight gain: +31. Besides Grady's health, that was the only other good news today. I gained ZERO pounds last week. Amen sister! It's about time.
Next appointment: Monday, May 16th to determine if I've dilated to a two. We currently have an induction scheduled at the hospital for Tuesday, May 17th, but that might be canceled depending on Monday's outcome.



Hang in there Nora- our prayers are with you. It is going to be fine.
ReplyDeletePraying for some dilation or a water break for you...you've had a healthy pregnancy thus far so I'm sure everything will work out just how it's supposed to.
ReplyDeleteThinking about you all the time xoxo