Wow, where do I begin? This has been the week from you know where. Grady came down with a horrible virus on Friday. It started with a fever, which we assumed was just teething. We went through a fever, fussiness, drooling and mouth pain when he got his two bottom teeth, so we attributed all of this to that. Well, by Sunday we realized it wasn't just teething. Grady's temperature skyrocketed to 104.3 and he was extremely lethargic and congested. Our poor baby boy just wasn't himself. We started the Tylenol and Ibuprofen rotation every 4 hours to control the fever, but he was still the saddest little boy.
We took him to urgent care on Sunday and the doctor diagnosed him with a "virus" after a Strep Test came back negative and gave us a ZPack because it looked like an ear infection was starting. On Monday I took him to the pediatrician because I just wasn't convinced that urgent care knew exactly what they were looking for since they don't specialize in pediatrics. Come Tuesday, Grady's fever reached 105.4 so I rushed him to the ER. Never did I think I'd be driving my sweet little baby boy to the emergency room at 10:00pm, but 105+ is nothing to joke around with. When we got there they immediately gave him an extra dose of Tylenol which brought the fever down, but that still didn't answer the question as to why it was so high. They ran a few tests, gave him a catheter to get a urine sample and tried to insert an IV, only to have his vein collapse. =( They tested his urine and blood and everything came back normal, which was both good and bad. We were grateful it was nothing too serious but then again, we didn't have any answers. He was released with a diagnosis of a "virus" once again --- not what we were hoping for. There was nothing we could do for him other than the Tylenol and Ibuprofen. It's now Friday and he's just starting to feel better. He's still congested and babbles like he's been smoking for 50 years, but it's much improved. Oh, and the best part of this? Adam was in Miami from Sunday - Thursday. Fun stuff.
In the end, I'm just happy our little boy is okay. It was definitely scary and nothing I want to go through again. Poor little boy!

No comments:
Post a Comment