Tuesday, February 1, 2011

24 Weeks (V-Day)

V-Day isn't the V-Day we all know and love known as Valentine's Day, it is something much more meaningful.  24 weeks in pregnancy is a milestone and is called Viability Day.  Here's the explanation according to Wikipeidia:
"The earliest gestational age at which the infant has at least a 50% chance of survival is referred to as the limit of viability. As NICU care has improved over the last 40 years, viability has reduced to approximately 24 weeks, although rare survivors have been documented as early as 21 weeks.
 
Picture:  It is so strange --- each picture I take, I feel like my "bump" is a different shape.  I think it must be the position Grady is in or the pants I am wearing.  Today it seems extra pointy, so bizarre!  

What's going on: (Since the fruit doesn't change for a few weeks, I found a different site that gives more information.)
 
How your baby's growing:
"Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon."

How I'm feeling:  Fairly descent.  I really can't complain.  Still the same issues - exhausted and my back hurts 24/7 but other than that things are great. 
 
Cravings/Aversions:  I've been craving more fruits lately, which is a good thing.  Now, if I could only force myself to eat some veggies!   

Weight gain:  +11 lbs total according to my scale.  That's -2 from last week, and I'll take it.  I swear the doctor's scale must have been wrong.  ;-)

Next appointment:  Our next appointment is February 22nd.  I'm scheduled for the glucose test that day to check for gestational diabetes.  It is a standard test, but YIKES!  Our next ultrasound is March 29th --- I can't wait to "see" Grady again.

1 comment:

  1. Your belly DOES look different in every picture! Maybe Grady is moving around in there? I love your updates :)

    ReplyDelete