Well, we had a "fun" night! I was feeling quite dizzy and lightheaded with a few episodes of blacking out yesterday so I ended up calling my OB's emergency line. Grady is normally SUPER active and he seemed to be kind of quiet, so that also concerned me. The doc told me to do a few things and even after listening to all of her advice I still just didn't feel "right". I ended up calling the Labor & Delivery unit at Scottsdale Healthcare (where I'm delivering) and the nurse told me to just come in and get checked out. So off to L&D we went. Mind you --- this was at 8:30 at night.
We got our triage room --- yes, the word "triage" scared me a bit. Couldn't they come up with a more pleasant name? Anyway, after hooking me up to a few different monitors her exact words were, "Well, the good news is that baby's heartrate is great and he's active in there. But, you are having contractions which is a bit concerning." WHAT!? I'm WHAT!? Turns out I was having timed contractions every 3-5 minutes and I didn't even know it. Scary! She left the room for a while to call my regular OB and when she came in she had her arms filled with goodies, including the dreaded IV bag. Waaahhhhhh!!! Turns out they gave me a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions, an IV of electrolytes to help with the dizziness, bloodwork, urine samples and a cervix check. Good God, that was not fun.
We ended up being there longer than we anticipated (we finally got home around 1:30, zzzzzzz...don't they know this old pregnant lady is usually in bed by 9:30??), but I'm thankful we went in and got everything taken care of. They said the Terbutaline should last at least a week or two and stop any contractions, but after that who knows. Grady is still a healthy little guy in there which is all I can ask for at this point. I was instructed to "take it easy" which gives me an excuse to lay on the couch and veg. I'm going to milk that for all it's worth. =) Here are a few pictures we took while waiting for lab results f.o.r.e.v.e.r!
Do I look like I'm having a good time?
Contraction on the chart lasting 2 minutes.
Best drug ever --- it stopped the contractions immediately.
Watching Grady's heartrate on the monitor:
Thank God he was there with me!
Grady's heartrate, my blood pressure, oxygen levels & pulse:
Thank God that bag is empty, I am NOT a fan of IVs AT ALL!






I'm so glad everything is okay and little Grady is still in there growing.
ReplyDelete